Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Star Pirates

For the last couple of months I've been playing an awesome game. It's an MMO but is not even flash, plain html, yet very fun and highly addictive. The game is Star Pirates. It somewhat reminds me of the good old BBS game TradeWars 2002. Yes, I'm that old.

You can play solo or join a fleet. You can play for free or pay or get someone in the game to pay for you. Paying members get certain perks that help you in the game but are not necessary and the price is only $4.50/month. You start out with a small weak ship and a basic weapon. As you earn more money in the game and find items you can use or sell for profit, you upgrade your ship and your equipment. With luck and strategy you can easily end up more powerful than the paying players.

Part of what makes this game fun is the one more turn al a civilization. One more kill to get you to next level, one more research to get your stats high enough to switch to a better paying job. A great evil is that you can only search for loot once an hour and until your level is high enough, this is your only way for finding items and money. This makes you go back to the game every hour in search for that elusive rare find that will spell the difference between winning and defeat. This game is also constantly in development. Gameplay tweaks, new items, holiday specific items and more.

Join the game and unlike me, you wont even have to start at the bottom. If you see that you like the game, message me and I'll provide you with decent, not great, those I need for myself, set of equipment and maybe even some money for a new ship.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, if you used to like the classic TradeWars game, check out the new browser based remake at http://www.tradewarsrising.com

    It's pretty cool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll actually let this spam stay as it's relevant.

    I'm spending most of my time on Star Pirates. I might check it out but from the screenshots, it doesn't look too appealing. Too much focus on graphics instead of staying true to the original. The beauty of Star Pirates is that I can play on the computer or on my cell. There's almost no graphics, yet it's still very fun and highly addictive.

    ReplyDelete